Deadline: September 29, 2017
The competition for the 2018-2019 Cullman Center Fellowship is now open. The Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers is an international fellowship program open to people whose work will benefit directly from access to the collections at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building—including academics, independent scholars, and creative writers. The Center looks for top-quality writing and aims to promote dynamic conversation about the humanities, social sciences, and scholarship at the highest level — within the Center, in public forums throughout the Library, and in the Fellows’ published work.
The Center appoints 15 Fellows a year for a nine-month term at the Library, from September through May. In addition to working on their own projects, the Fellows engage in an ongoing exchange of ideas within the Center and in public forums throughout the Library.
- Open to top-quality writing from academics as well as from academics, independent scholars and creative writers (novelists, playwrights, poets).
- Candidates who need to work primarily in The New York Public Library’s other research centers — The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, and the Science, Industry and Business Library — are not eligible for this fellowship.
- Fellows are required to work at the Cullman Center for the duration of the fellowship term and may not accept other major professional obligations during the term. Some fellows may have a few prior commitments, but must limit research trips, attendance at scholarly meetings, and speaking engagements to short periods of time.
- Fellowships will not be granted to post-doctoral fellows or to applicants doing graduate-school dissertation research.
- The Cullman Center will not accept dossier letters in place of new letters of recommendation.
- Fellows must be conversant in English.
- Complete the online application must be submitted by 5 p.m. EST on September 29, 2017.
- Supporting materials
- research proposal
- Curriculum Vitae
- letters of recommendation, and
- creative writing sample or art work sample