Deadline: January 15, 2018
Yenching Academy is now accepting applications for its 2018 cohort of Scholars. Yenching Academy brings together Scholars from both China and abroad, to study, live, and learn together as they pursue a Master’s degree in China Studies through this full-fellowship program. Scholars have much flexibility to customize their own research and leadership opportunities at the Academy.
Scholars spend 12 months in residence at Peking University. Those in good academic standing may receive support for up to one additional year in residence to complete their theses and defend them. During this second year, students may be eligible for a limited number of teaching, research, or administrative assistantships. The Academy also offers grants to help fund selected China Studies research projects.
The Yenching Academy of Peking University builds bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary master’s program in China Studies for outstanding graduates from all over the globe. This initiative brings together young people who show promise to lead and innovate in their fields in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world – past, present, and future. The Academy aims to thereby shape a new generation of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China and its role in the world.
The Yenching Academy annually enrolls approximately 125 new students from both Mainland China and abroad, to study, live, and learn together. International students and students from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan comprise roughly 80% of the student body.
The scholarship covers tuition, accommodation, a round trip to and from home, medical insurance, and an adequate living stipend to cover campus living costs at Peking University and costs related to field studies.
- Applications are welcome from International, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan candidates.
- Applicants should have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
- Successful applicants will demonstrate how the Yenching Academy program is relevant and valuable for their career plans.
- Preference is given to candidates age 25 or younger as of August 31 of the year they wish to enroll. For students from countries with mandatory military service, the age preference is 27 years old or younger.
- Candidates may apply through Yenching Academy’s online application portal.
- Please note that those from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan will also need to apply through the Peking University Graduate Admissions website.
Each applicant will create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);*
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;*
- Two letters of recommendation;
- International English proficiency test score (at least IELTS 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 180/CEFR C1).**
*If official university documents are in languages other than English or Chinese, both copies of the original documents and certified English translations must be uploaded. This requirement includes diplomas issued in Latin.
** Native English speakers and students/alumni of primarily English-taught degree programs are not required to provide English proficiency test scores.
There are two deadlines, associated with candidates’ universities or alma maters:
- Dec. 11, 2017: Universities in the United States and Canada;
- Jan. 15, 2018: Universities in all other countries.
Applicants must submit all materials before 12:00 noon (Beijing time) on the relevant deadlines.
Note: All candidates should apply by the deadlines corresponding to their universities or alma maters. There may be rare exceptions; for example, an alumna of a U.S. university learns about our program after returning to her home country, and wishes to apply by the later deadline.
For more information, visit Yenching Academy.