APPLICATION DEADLINE: JULY 5TH 2018
Applications are open for the African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) scholarship for MSc and PhD in railway Engineering 2018/2019. ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in Sub-Saharan African countries to pursue MSc/PhD studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2018/19 academic year.
The African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the World Bank, the center aspires to become sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa. The aim of the center is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large.
Scholarships are available for two years for Masters and four years for PhD. The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully.
- Type A. Full Scholarship: Covers monthly stipend (USD $800 for PhD students and USD $600 for MSc students), tuition fee, health insurance and transportation cost.
- Type B. Half Scholarship: Covers monthly stipend (USD $400 for PhD and USD $350 for MSc) and tuition fee.
- Type C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses.
- Applicants have to have completed their last degree less than six years ago during the time of application;
- Be Citizens of African countries;
- For MSc applicants: Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale);
- For PhD applicants: Applicants should have MSC degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.50 for males and 3.25 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale);
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate’s interest to join the program;
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/supervisors from previous educational institutions;
- PhD applicants should submit research proposal including a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages);
- Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Civil Infrastructure): Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Civil Engineering including Structural, Geotechnical, and Construction Technology, or related fields.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Rolling Stock): Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Mechanical Engineering including Mechanical Design, Industrial Engineering, and Thermal Engineering, or related fields.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Traction and Train Control): Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Electrical Engineering including Electronic Communication Engineering, Power Engineering, Industrial Control Engineering, Computer Engineering, Microelectronics Engineering, or related fields.
- For PhD in Railway Engineering: MSc in Railway Electrical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering or related fields
The applicants should submit their document in a single PDF file through email addresses email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org (please send your documents to both addresses). The application will only be complete if the following documents are submitted:
- Filled ARCE 2018/2019 Scholarship form
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
- All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF document. Applications submitted separately will be considered incomplete.
For more information, visit African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) Scholarship.